Friday, June 26, 2009

Remembering Walter Martin


"Controversy for the sake of controversy is sin. Controversy for the sake of the Gospel is a divine command"--Walter Martin.

Kenneth Samples has written an excellent three-part remembrance of Walter Martin, the great father of the countercult movement, who died twenty years ago this month. Martin exhibited many apologetic virtues, which Samples highlights. I was honored to have Walter write the forward to my second book, Confronting the New Age (InterVarsity, 1988) and to spend some time with him in Seattle in the late 1980s. I appeared on "The Bible Answer Man Program" with him in Seattle in about 1987. I listened to dozens of this tapes, which he donated to The McKenzie Study Center (where I was on staff) in the early 1980s. Early in my Christian life, I also read The Kingdom of the Cults, which was formative in my understanding of orthodoxy and heresy.

No comments: