Monday, August 21, 2006

Reggie White's Repentance

Faithful readers of The Constructive Curmudgeon know that I despise football for a host of principled reasons. I posted an essay on my philosophical case against football some months ago. Of course, I do not follow it. However, I found this article in USA Today (linked on Nancy Hollenbach's blog) about the repentance and awakening of football player and Christian, Reggie White.

Shortly before his early death, White came to realize that his sports celebrity outran his godliness. He came clean and began to work on his character before God rather than chasing after every speaking possibility he was offered. He realized that he has been, in his words, "prostituted." I commend this article for your reflection on sports, celebrity, American culture, and the biblical meaning of evangelism and Christlikeness.

No comments: