Friday, July 21, 2006

Who Cares About "Who's Who"?

I received a letter saying I was accepted into Who's Who in America. I have been getting these forms, filling them out, and getting into these kinds of collections for some years now, but not Who's Who in America until now. (Drum roll...Cymbal crash...Laugh track.) But I have always puzzled over the significance of these collections, if they have any. Yes, they always want you to buy the favored volume (featuring you!), and they offer expensive plaques, etc. I never bite. Does anyone have any wisdom to offer on this? Should I even put it on my curriculum vitae?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree with cheerful curmudgeon. These things are, indeed, nothing more than marketing scams. If your potential interest is in assisting others to find out who you are and what you stand for, the internet already does that, for you, in spades.

Tim said...

Couldn't agree more with both cheerful curmudgeon and soulcraft. I used to get these things, but in the past decade they've tapered off. I suppose I'm a candidate for Who's Nobody now!

Douglas Groothuis, Ph.D. said...

John:

I have never paid for any of them.

DRG